Just what is 'alternative' these days?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Still Ill » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:09 pm

Alternative music today isn't what it used to be 10, certainly 20 years ago. It's too broad and hence has lost the unified culture that once defined it. It's a very good article if anyone has a chance to read it. Like everything else in life, the envelope's been pushed wide open, and there's no longer the lure from mainstream music that it once had. Unfortunately, the article doesn't put Morrissey in a good light, either! Any thoughts, anyone? <a href='http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2004-07-14/soundbites.html' target='_blank'>http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2004-07-14/soundbites.html</a>
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:16 pm

I have honestly never known what the alternative genre actually is. I define most bands I like (Smiths, Bunnymen, Oasis, Suede, B&S, etc) as Indie, whether they are or not I don't know.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:06 pm

You know, Still Ill, I was very recently bitching to my friends about this exact thing, around the time when Lollapalooza was cancelled. Growing up, that festival was revolutionary! I wanted to be a part of it for such a huge part of my life, but being that I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere, I couldn't, and when I finally DID get a ticket (a few days after they were released), it was cancelled! Alternative bit the dust because it was mostly grunge rock, and the good grunge rockers didn't last much longer than Kurt did. The rest of "alternative" didn't really outlast Shannon Hoon, being replaced by regular ole' rock with a flashy new title. I listened to an alternative station that boasted Jack Johnson, and as good as he is, that is NOT alternative! I figure that it just became a cop-out title for people who weren't brainy enough to figure out what kind of music they liked, or trendy enough to claim alternative because "I listen to soft, girlie rock" just doesn't sound all that cool.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:34 pm

I agree that Alternative has become a really broad genre, but that's because I never really saw it as one singular genre. To me, it's always been a kind of all-encompassing term for Indie, Punk, Metal... basically, any rock isn't neccessarily appreciated by the mainstream because that's what 'alternative' literally means, yes? OK, that doesn't really make sense, seeing as Indie and Punk are totally unrelated, but anyhoo. I always thought of The Smiths as much more Alt than solo Morrissey... I agree with Elko, I class most of my favourite music as Indie just for want of another category to shove it in! Why does everything need to be categorised?!!

I really don't like the way Alternative has been absorbed by the mainstream, and now everyone is trying to cash in on it and be cool, and claim to like all these bands when they blatantly don't. THAT pisses me right off because you know that as soon as some other genre becomes flavour of the month, they'll just jump on its bandwagon. <!--emo&:angry:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Last edited by girl_afraid on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:18 am

I agree that alternative/indie is a catch-all phrase for anything that doesn't fit the traditional music mold. Part of the lure of that genre when it first surfaced was that it was different, not mainstream, a new kind of music was making its way around. It's really almost lost its appeal now, but I suppose it couldn't stay new for long. Even the corporate rock-packaged groups that are churned out at an alarming rate these days aren't really considered rock or pop and are thrown in that category. I just found the article very interesting. Anyhow, I agree with all your posts.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat