Great debut albums?

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:21 pm

stanye west wrote:A fever you can't sweat out-Panic! At the disco (oh and by the way is the name inspired by lyrics to Panic by the Smiths?)

That is actually a very good album. I know a lot of the scene/emo kids love this band. But they are really very good, some of their songs do begin to sound similar after a while. But they are lyrically and musically very talented.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:28 pm

I will happily admit to liking one of their songs, because I think it's really good. Shame I can't remember the name, but you know the one...it's the one that sounds good.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:29 pm

elko wrote:I will happily admit to liking one of their songs, because I think it's really good. Shame I can't remember the name, but you know the one...it's the one that sounds good.

Heh, you'll have to refresh my memory. By any chance is it "Time To Dance?" that is my favourite from them.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:31 pm

call me unoriginal, call me repetetive,
but a debut album I really love is Rufus Wainwright's self-titled debut.

And, needless to say, The Smiths' self-titled debut. :D

I'll think of some more I guess.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:36 pm

_Stranger_ wrote:<!--quoteo(post=24190:date=Apr 16 2006, 12:28 AM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Apr 16 2006, 12:28 AM) [snapback]24190[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I will happily admit to liking one of their songs, because I think it's really good. Shame I can't remember the name, but you know the one...it's the one that sounds good.

Heh, you'll have to refresh my memory. By any chance is it "Time To Dance?" that is my favourite from them.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, no, no....it's the good one! *sings* something something your eyes....trophy boys, trophy wiiiiives...... :unsure:

Know the one?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Lazy Dyke » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:39 pm

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=24191:date=Apr 16 2006, 12:29 AM:name=_Stranger_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_Stranger_ @ Apr 16 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]24191[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=24190:date=Apr 16 2006, 12:28 AM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Apr 16 2006, 12:28 AM) [snapback]24190[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

No, no, no....it's the good one! *sings* something something your eyes....trophy boys, trophy wiiiiives...... :unsure:

Know the one?

Ah that'd be "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage" very good song.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:41 pm

And that would probably explain why I didn't remember the title....

P.S. I hate the guy's voice, I hate the verse, I had the timid guitars, I hate the lyrics, I hate the breakdown, I hate everything except for that bloody hook........*trophy boys, trophy wiiiiiiiiives*....
Last edited by elko on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby HandsomeDevil » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:51 pm

Rage Against The Machine - self titled
Franz Ferdinand - self titled
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Stillill » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:12 am

I agree with a lot of what's been said already.
I'll add my vote for

Jeff Buckley - Grace
P J Harvey - Dry
Placebo - Placebo
Suede - Suede
Gene - Olympian
Stillill

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:33 pm

I am a Placebo fan, but the first album is the one I least play. It's weird so many Placebo fans tend to call it their best...

My favourite debut album of all time, easy one: Crocodiles - ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN. It's so perfect: the sound, the feeling, the imaginary, the artworks, ...

Also deserve a mentioning: The Smiths, Black Sabbath, Bauhaus, Silke Bischoff. All had excellent debuts. For Silke Bischoff, I still think their first one is their best.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 am

Xuu wrote:<!--quoteo(post=23701:date=Apr 13 2006, 07:18 PM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Apr 13 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]23701[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Just adding ones that haven't been listed, I'd say The La's first and only album, and :77 by Talking Heads.

i totally agree.

Pink Floyd - Pipers
Beatles - Please Please Me
Stooges - S/T
Doors - S/T
Portishead - Dummy
X - LA
The Misfits - Walk Among Us
Nirvana - Bleach
Ramones - Ramones
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

Too bad Xuu was secretly evil because that is some good music there! How about Patti Smith- Horses? Thats a good first album!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:21 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:<!--quoteo(post=23707:date=Apr 13 2006, 07:32 PM:name=Xuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xuu @ Apr 13 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]23707[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=23701:date=Apr 13 2006, 07:18 PM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Apr 13 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]23701[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Just adding ones that haven't been listed, I'd say The La's first and only album, and :77 by Talking Heads.

i totally agree.

Pink Floyd - Pipers
Stooges - S/T
Doors - S/T
Portishead - Dummy
X - LA
Nirvana - Bleach
Ramones - Ramones

Too bad Xuu was secretly evil because that is some good music there! How about Patti Smith- Horses? Thats a good first album!
Well, she wasn't that original in that selection... And yeah! HORSES!!!

I would like to add:

stanye west wrote:A fever you can't sweat out-Panic! At the disco (oh and by the way is the name inspired by lyrics to Panic by the Smiths?)

That's what I call a bad bad horrible band.
Last edited by Truman Capote on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Truman Capote wrote:<!--quoteo(post=40263:date=Apr 16 2007, 02:28 AM:name=Pashernate_Lover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pashernate_Lover @ Apr 16 2007, 02:28 AM) [snapback]40263[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=23707:date=Apr 13 2006, 07:32 PM:name=Xuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xuu @ Apr 13 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]23707[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
<!--quoteo(post=23701:date=Apr 13 2006, 07:18 PM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Apr 13 2006, 07:18 PM) [snapback]23701[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

i totally agree.

Pink Floyd - Pipers
Stooges - S/T
Doors - S/T
Portishead - Dummy
X - LA
Nirvana - Bleach
Ramones - Ramones

Well, she wasn't that original in that selection... And yeah! HORSES!!!

I would like to add:

That's what I call a bad bad horrible band.

The name was inspired by the Smiths. And I think they have some interesting ideas- like the half electronic half classical piano song, thats pretty cool.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Eight of nine lives » Fri May 18, 2007 7:47 am

One of my personal favourites:

PiL are one of my favourite bands and their debut was absolutely amazing. One of my favourite albums of all time.
Eight of nine lives
Regular

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu May 24, 2007 1:57 am

Why are we all talking about 'Panic! At The Disco'? The guys voice twists my insides, close "the god damn door" yourself and keep it shut. Must admit, Fall Out Boy have been impressing me lately though.

Good debuts eh?

77 - Talking Heads
Grace - Jeff Buckley
*minds blank* :(
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to Music Chat