The Smashing Pumpkins

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:57 pm

It's official, The Smashing Pumpkins are currently writing songs for their upcoming album, their first since 2000. No release date has yet been set, but the band plans to begin recording this summer.

So... what do you think about them and their reborn?
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:25 am

Truman Capote wrote:It's official, The Smashing Pumpkins are currently writing songs for their upcoming album, their first since 2000. No release date has yet been set, but the band plans to begin recording this summer.

So... what do you think about them and their reborn?

I was jumping out of my skin when I first heard about this...

Well, apparently it's only Billy & Jimmy from the original line up because Billy doesn't speak to James Iha anymore and has a strained relationship with D'Arcy (to my knowledge, anyway). I've heard Melissa Auf Der Maur will play bass but not sure about another guitarist.

I hope this doesn't turn into an anti-climax because the Pumpkins are a great band.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bref » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:32 pm

I'd rather they just went on tour, if Machina and Zwan are anything to go by I don't really want to hear corgan's latest songs.
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:15 pm

i don't much like billy's new solo stuff, but i personally thought machina was quite good! this time, raindrops and sunshowers, the sacred and profane and age of innocence i liked very much, although i would agree it went downhill. but it was a definite improvement from adore.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:09 pm

i've not heard a lick of billy's solo work, but have always been a fan of the pumpkins --mostly their early works because of my own little experiences while listening to it, so not all saying that the early stuff is best.

it would be nice to see the pumpkins reborn. i'm going to watch for this. thanks for the notice truman.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby HadjiQuest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:55 pm

Either new SP will sound like Billy's Solo stuff (since Billy and Jimmy never split; they worked on eachother's solo albums last year) and be total garbage, or they'll use the SP label to do more guitar-based or mainstream music, and then release more experimental stuff under their solo names (Billy Corgan's electronic stuff; JC's Jimmy Chamberlin Complex, a jazz-rock fusion dealy).

Either way, I'm not expecting a ton.
HadjiQuest
Supreme

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:46 pm

i absolutely love the pumpkins, but i'm not too sure about this. If it's just Billy and Jimmy, then it what sense is it the Smashng Pumpkins? I'm not saying the Smashing Pumpkins are nothing without James Iha and D'Arcy, but 2 members and a replacement is not a reformation. I was squealing when i heard about it, but now i'm cynical.

I think one of their best songs is Lily! So cute, yet sinister :D

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Postby HandsomeDevil » Mon May 01, 2006 1:15 pm

With it being just Billy and Jimmy from the original line-up, it isn't 'The Smashing Pumpkins' then is it?
If Moz and Marr did a song together, would they be called The Smiths? I doubt it.
HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Truman Capote » Mon May 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Well, I think they could... I will wait and listen... then I'll give my opinion about them, who knows?
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:12 am

If you have time, watch this little performance of Billy Corgan on TV performing a song from his solo album... I know it sounds electronic and all, but I wouldn't say that this is a 'total garbage'.

From YouTube:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM6KDQNxLKM&search=billy%20corgan" target="_blank">Billy Corgan - Mina Loy (My Old Heart) <live on TV></a>
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:12 pm

In the Australian soccer supporters pub, the DJ was tending to play "Tonight tonight" yesterday during the after-the-game celebrations... Unfortunately no one hit the dance floor so he changed record halfway the song and put on some disco tune instead :o :angry:

Apart from that one song, I don't know the band that well. I need to give them a try though, heard many good things about them. And "Mellon collie and the infinite sadness" is about the most original album title one can ever get, so they must be a very original and creative act...

What is Corgan doing anyway these days after dismantling Zwan?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bref » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:18 pm

The pumpkins are reborn and about to record a new album, thank god corgan finished zwan!
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:31 pm

Oh really? Interesting... Melissa Auf Der Mauer in the new reunion line-up as well?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bref » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:37 pm

I think so, apparently they can't track down D'arcy
we don't know where.
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:59 am

Hey, Zwan wasn't that bad, and have you seen the bassist playing wearing those tiny shorts? My God!
If you didn't and you love female bassists in tiny shorts, take a look at this great performance of Zwan:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5e-KbSBm0&search=zwan" target="_blank">Zwan - Settle Down</a>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so excited about the reunion, I am a believer, they will rock our asses, you'll see, you'll see.
Looking forward to hear some of the new stuff they will make!
Last edited by Truman Capote on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Music Chat