[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Velvet Underground and Lou Reed

Velvet Underground and Lou Reed

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu May 25, 2006 2:39 am

A Doors topic without honouring the true masters of early psychedelica, that is just a criminal offence, but we're setting things straight here B)

Vent your spleen on the Velvets, one of the greatest bands ever and an inspiration for about every single alternative band that came after them. Feel free to also discuss Lou Reed's solo work of course :)

I started listening to their stuff more the last days after being hinted by someone of this board, and my god how legendary their music was. Venus In Furs, I'm Waiting For The Man, I'll Be Your Mirror, Perfect Day, Heroin, ... Top class and very unique if you see when it was made.

My favourite is and remains I'll Be Your Mirror though, such great lyrics...

I find it hard to believe you don't know the beauty you are
But if you don't, let me be your eyes
The hand in the darkness, so you won't be afraid
When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands, cause I see YOU
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Thu May 25, 2006 3:13 am

The VU is one of my favourite bands. They were pop and artie at the same time, I love to read about them, their relation with Andy Warhol and all the people of the Factory.
I have all their records, love them all. Now I want to buy the 1993 reunion DVD.

I also recommend 'Songs For Drella' the Reed & Cale tribute to Andy Warhol. I often cry when I listen to this album, the lyrics are great.

Great Thread.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby scavenger » Thu May 25, 2006 9:50 pm

Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby elko » Thu May 25, 2006 10:55 pm

elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 pm

much to my dismay, i've never been able to get 'into' V.U.

though thanks to this thread, i got onto wikipedia and read up on them. really cool stuff on there. the whole herion culture is so alien to me. plus i never knew the band was named after a book about sadomasochism, which is quite intriguing.

strange, but i wish i liked them more than i do. nonetheless, i'll still defend Reed as a musical genius...that's pretty hard not to recognize IMHO.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:28 am

<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat