The Damned

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 8:03 pm

I am no punk fan, far from, but this band does deserve their own topic. They're in fact the only punk band I am into (I don't consider Siouxsie and Bauhaus as punk) but I'm quite much into this one band.

THE DAMNED are much more talented and diverse than the average punk band. They started of in 1976 with the release of New Rose, the first ever punk single. The single has set the standards for all punk songs to come afterwards and is still the perfect punk track: short, full of energy, slightly chaotic.

The band followed the path with more punk goodness such as the epic Smash It Up and the club classic Neat Neat Neat. But they soon enough proved to be more than just a punk band: under the leading role of singer Dave Vanian, the first Goth/vampirist ever to climb a stage and very devote to his gothic lifestyle, the band made a change of direction and released two albums that are true gothic classics: Phantasmagoria and the Black Album. Key track in this gothic era were the epic Wait For The Black-out (an ode to the night, and a true gothic anthem) and Shadow Of Love (coming with a very gothic video full of vampire brides, wandering shadows and black cats).

The band soon after scored a commercial success with a bizarre poppy cover of Eloise, and then returned to their punk origins. This year, the band celebrates its 30th birthday. The band are the one punk pioneers that have survived the hands of time, and are still going strong with the release of a new album. Singer David Vanian and guitarist Captain Sensible are the two survivors of the original line-up.

The band was not always taken seriously: David Vanian dressed as a vampire (and is very well known for also doing this off-stage, unlike most goth performers who only dress up for their acts), drummer Rat Scabies used to hang dead rats to his hats, whereas guitarist Captain Sensible was a famous cross-dresser. Few people took the band for real, but ignored the great songs they wrote and how they set the standards for punk music. Luckily, the band got the deserved recognition after some years. They are headlining a festival this year that celebrates the 30th anniversary of punk music.

And yes, I may be biased as I am goth myself, but no male person ever looked sexier than Dave Vanian. His make-up, his eyes, his smile, his charisma, ... This man has what is nowadays called "X factor"... Apart from Peter Murphy (Bauhaus, another vamp) I never saw a performer that charismatic while on-stage.
Not convinced? Then behold these videos:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnNWGCiqYM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnNWGCiqYM</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGJ35g6ACI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGJ35g6ACI</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmCrS63NCZg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmCrS63NCZg</a>
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Tue May 30, 2006 8:44 pm

in reply (as a punk, well I was back in the 70's) I'd have to disagree with you on the Banshees front, Siouxsie was part of the original Sex Pistols followers at the time & only started a group because of them, so definately punk.

I saw the Damned loads of times but 'more talented' erm I think you've missed the ethos of punk, it wasn't about talent it was about being anti everything including talent, it was the anyone can do it & they did & they did it with fun.

They only released New Rose before the Pistols Anarchy because they signed to Stiff records, the Pistols wouldn't sign to them, they went for the big boys EMI so that's why they didn't get a record out until after the Damned. New Rose is class punk song but it wasn't Anarchy which was truly the first punk song, the Damned would never have done New Rose had they not seen the Pistols 1st.

You should read 'England's Dreaming' by Jon Savage it'll tell you all you need to know about Punk.

I still love the Damned well their early stuff, Punk yes! I can still see them covered in gob at the russell club.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 8:57 pm

Siouxsie indeed came out of the Bromley Contingent and was a huge Sex Pistols fan, though her music evolved in a different direction after a while (though the first Banshees record was close to punk, it's undeniable I think though that she grew in a different direction as the true punk bands)

I would also not say that "Anarchy in the UK" was the first punk song. It may had a theme that leans closer to the true punk ideology, though New Rose did set the standard music-wise. If you ignore the somewhat pointless lyrics, the song is everything that is described as 'punk'.

You also hit the nail on the head with the statement that punk is not about talent necessarily, though I am no punk fan, I only care about The Damned really within this style (although a few Undertones and Clash songs are always welcomed as well, they won't keep me entranced for a whole record, unlike the Damned). That's a personal opinion, no statement on the basics of punk, but I do care about talent and I would dare to state that The Damned were the most diverse and interesting of the punk bands. Because they were more than punk, they also were gothic and sometimes even pop.

I am happy to admit though that I am biased because of Dave Vanian. He did raise my interest in the band, though I wouldn't have kept listening if I didn't really like what I heard.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed May 31, 2006 10:18 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:Siouxsie indeed came out of the Bromley Contingent and was a huge Sex Pistols fan, though her music evolved in a different direction after a while (though the first Banshees record was close to punk, it's undeniable I think though that she grew in a different direction as the true punk bands)

I agree that her first l.p. 'the scream' was punk but it was virtually unlistenable imho so I never followed them up any further, so if they evolved I'm sorry I didn't get it on any level.

Cracked Pleasures wrote:I would also not say that "Anarchy in the UK" was the first punk song. It may had a theme that leans closer to the true punk ideology, though New Rose did set the standard music-wise. If you ignore the somewhat pointless lyrics, the song is everything that is described as 'punk'.

I guess if you don't get Anarchy as the first Punk song then it must be a 'you had to be there moment', but I also don't get 'New Rose' in your terms mate, how can a song be ignored for it's lyrics? BTW I love 'New Rose' & 'Neat Neat Neat', but 'Problem Child' was my favourite of the time, I loved 'em as much for the lyrics as the tunes, but I think they where both equally punk, but they where part of us, I'd be at the bar getting a newky an Scabies would be there to, rum n black or summat daft like that. Then they'd just got up on stage & 234 here we go.

Cracked Pleasures wrote:You also hit the nail on the head with the statement that punk is not about talent necessarily, though I am no punk fan, I only care about The Damned really within this style (although a few Undertones and Clash songs are always welcomed as well, they won't keep me entranced for a whole record, unlike the Damned). That's a personal opinion, no statement on the basics of punk, but I do care about talent and I would dare to state that The Damned were the most diverse and interesting of the punk bands. Because they were more than punk, they also were gothic and sometimes even pop.

I see where you are coming from now & it's nowt to do with Punk is it, you've got the goth bug & I agree Dave Vanian had a novel Dracula type front, so if that's diverse so be it but tbh they where just having a laugh & makin a bob or two, I think Slaughter & the Dogs did something similar for a short while, I think that's who Vanian got it off.

Cracked Pleasures wrote:I am happy to admit though that I am biased because of Dave Vanian. He did raise my interest in the band, though I wouldn't have kept listening if I didn't really like what I heard.

I think it's great that you still love the Damned mate, they where a part of my youth & if I go to a disco & one of their songs came on that I knew I'd be one of the first on the floor.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:29 am

I think they do the best cover of 'Alone Again Or', one of my favorite songs. Great video, too, very spaghetti-western. It's all I know of them. Well, until I read the nice bio on them--thanks to you both.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:22 am

I only have the songs New Rose and Democracy? by the Damned because their CDs are SOOOO expensive!!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Get the whole Machine Gun Etiquette album, it's great. Smash It Up is a perfect punk song and although the lyrics may seem a bit cliche, they were a novelty and groundbreaking at the time. An ideal song when you feel frustrated and just want to get your energy out!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:20 am

Wow... this post seems so long ago!! I didn't even remember it when I went out and found Machine Gun Etiquette- Melody Lee is my favorite on the album, though Smash It Up is definately 2nd.

I named my new laptop Captain Sensible :P
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:41 pm

The Damned announced on their official website (so it gotta be true then!) that the NEW ALBUM all fans have been praying for, will be recorded in autumn! The band also have total control over the release so they have no restrictions or commands from record companies to obey ; they formed their own little set-up so that they could release the record themselves and have total freedom over the content and sound. The band promised the fans it will be the best possible Damned album in years and that the long waiting will definitely have been worth it.

Sounds so exciting! I hope they will release the album worldwide (it may be a problem to find it here in the Middle East where punk is not the most popular of styles...) but if not there's always Amazon and such. I don't think they will perform here though as the limited number of punk fans in the Middle East would make the trip too costy with hardly anything in return. However, after years of only playing in the UK the band is going to Germany for some concerts as well so they are taking the self-promotion very seriously.

Can't wait for the new album, the fans were waiting for this since 5 years now but finally it is happening. And if we may believe the band's statement on their official site, they wrote a lot of new material to be recorded which they believe is their best new efford in over a decade!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:14 am

I guess I'd better finish Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail before then! That should be a good way to get hyped up about it, yeah?
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Well yeah but I personally cannot help but not liking Scabies. Despite recognising his great musical skills. That pounding drums intro of "New rose" is one of the best drum solos I ever heard. But then he did rob a lot of loyalties from the band for songs he did NOT write on his own. Basically he stole from the other band members. Ironically we are talking about that same Rat Scabies who did write the Damned song "Stab in the back" :rolleyes: Stab in the back indeed... I think he deserves some credits for his work with the band as he was an excellent drummer, but his personality does not suit someone who wants to function in a band. The band currently have a very decent drummer and I don't think Rat should ever be allowed to re-enter the band. With Vanian and Cpt Sensible there is enough to get excited about anyway, so let that new album come! The recording sessions are planned for early autumn once the summer tour has been finished, so I guess the release date should be just before or after New year.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 am

Yeah, but Rat is so bizarre! I mean he is a truly strange individual and I respect that thoroughly, honestly he would be a wonderful cartoon character. You know the KISS comics? Imagine how morbid and excellent The Damned comics would be? I would read them!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:19 pm

There is a book actually which is a fairytale with Rat Scabies as main character! I am unsure if he wrote it himself or not. Other band members are not involved as the book was written when he had already left the Damned after the arguements over loyalties.

Rat was a very good drummer - no doubts about that. And iconic and bizarre yes. An essential part of The Damned's history. Still, when you stab your bandmates in the back, you are kicked out of the band for a reason. I don't think they should ever allow him back on a stage with the rest of the band. Despite his credits for the band in the past ...

By the way: ALL band members have a bizarre angle, not? That was what The Damned were famous for in the beginning. Their singer was a vampirist, their drummer wore dead rats as earrings, their guitarist was a crossdressing clown... The band was about bizarrity. Which in a way is a shame as well as it distracted people from their excellent music. Lot of people don't take them seriously which is such a shame.
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:45 am

Did you hear the Elvis Costello cover of Neat Neat Neat? Its... well, pretty neat!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Return to Music Chat