Another new guy

Postby JNP369 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:18 pm

Hello,

My name is Jeff. I live in Dallas, Texas. Not only am I a big Smiths fan, but I really am into music. I went to college from 1985-1989, so I seem to gravitate into music made in the 80's. I guess what we called it over here was "alternative". Bands such as New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, Tears for Fears, REM... (most come from the UK)

For me, the lyrics are the most important part of the song. I want to really feel the music and hear a song that makes me think, not just hear and listen. I also have a soft spot for some "real" metal, but it sems to be just the bands from the Midlands (Priest, Sabbath, Zeppelin and Maiden).

Morrissey/Marr formed a partnership that is equal to (or better) than many of the others such as Page/Plant, Lennon/McCartney and Sumner/Hooky. I would also place Martin Gore & Alan Wilder of DM in that mix as I feel like Wilder did not get as much acknowledgement as a part of DM. Many times M/M had made the words & music just flow together and become one so you could not take one without the other. Please Please, Please.. would not have been as good without the beauty of the strings behind it. Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and Joyce made a sound that was different and could not be duplicated.

Misc. favorite songs :

The Smiths: The Headmaster Ritual
Morrissey: How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel
Joy Division: Atmosphere
New Order: Run
The Cult: Love
The Cure: Pictures of You
Depeche Mode: Here Is The House (actually every song on Black Celebration)
Electronic: Getting Away With It
REM: King of Birds
The Tragically Hip: New Orleans Is Sinking
Radiohead: Stop Whispering

Favorites lyrics:

"so how can anybody say they know how I feel? when they are they and only I am "

"I want to live and I want to love I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of"

"I am now A central part Of your minds landscape Whether you care Or do not, Yeah, I've made up your mind"

"We're forced to bed
but we're free to dream
all us human extras,
all us herded beings
and after a glimpse
over the top
the rest of the world
becomes a gift shop" (This if from a Canadian band called The Tragically Hip). They are awesome.

"Just wait till tomorrow, I guess that's what they all say, Just before they fall apart" - New Order "Regret"

"Well what's the use in complaining, When you've got what you don't need" - New Order "Run"

Anyways, enough about me, I live my life by my own mantra...

"My life is like my IPOD on shuffle. I am not sure what I am going to get, but I know that I am going to like it."

Jeff
JNP369

Postby rubygirl » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:17 pm

Hello, Jeff --
you've made a really wonderful introduction of yourself, I'd say - letting us take a glimpse at your musical passions :) - we're happy to welcome you here: though born at different times and in different places, we all love The Smiths and tend to gravitate basically to the artists you've pointed out above - so I believe you can be a grreat new addition to our beloved little sanctuary on the Web - if you feel like it, of course. :)

Looking forward to more posts from you!!
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 pm

A fine introduction, and as I've said elsewhere, welcome to the forum.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:26 pm

welcome jeff from texas, where everything is bigger than life!!

i was in college from 84-88, so i know EXACTLY what you mean when you say "alternative" (funny how that term has changed in meaning, eh?).

welcome aboard!! i hope to see you around on this here forum.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:30 am

hello and welcome, and i have to say your taste in music is pretty great!
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:12 am

Hello! *waves*
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:57 pm

Hey Jeff.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:26 pm

Alabaster Crashes Down wrote:Hello! *waves*

That is a brilliant signature! :lol:
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:24 am

pap369 wrote:Hello,

My name is Jeff. I live in Dallas, Texas. Not only am I a big Smiths fan, but I really am into music. I went to college from 1985-1989, so I seem to gravitate into music made in the 80's. I guess what we called it over here was "alternative". Bands such as New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, Tears for Fears, REM... (most come from the UK)

Jeff

Welcome Jeff. (I said hello on another thread, before I read this one.) I lived your life in the 80's as well and I also have a soft spot for the same Electronic song. (You coach 'soccer'? It's a great opportunity. My husband coaches my youngest).

Hope you'll continue to visit.
Last edited by Still Ill on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby JNP369 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks for all of the kind words. I look forward to getting some questions I have always had answered on this site.

Jeff
JNP369

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:55 pm

I already said hello in a different thread + you already know me from FootballGroundGuide forums, but anyway, to make it official: welcome here Jeff, and hope you'll have a great time here! B)

PS: just a question (not indeded to provocate or so, just out of interest) but what do you or in general American Smiths-fans think of Morrissey's anti-American statements on his latest two solo albums?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby JNP369 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Cracked Pleasures wrote:I already said hello in a different thread + you already know me from FootballGroundGuide forums, but anyway, to make it official: welcome here Jeff, and hope you'll have a great time here! B)

PS: just a question (not indeded to provocate or so, just out of interest) but what do you or in general American Smiths-fans think of Morrissey's anti-American statements on his latest two solo albums?

CP,

I tell you what, the last two albums (Quarry & Tormenters) are the best since Viva Hate (in my opinion). He has some excellent singles from My Uncle, Your Arsenal... But from a song by song album, these last two are the best. I can't figure out if it was pent up frustration on lack of record deal or just getting older, but the songs just seems to rock out. Strange I know. No one really thinks of Morrissey rocking out, but Irish Blood, How can possibly, Last of the Gang... really sound loud.

In the US, he does not get as much airplay because of our radio stations. We tend to have formats (i.e. country, hard rock/metal, classic rock like Deep Purple, Sknynrd, Styx) and Morrissey just does not fit into a format. We really do not have a New Wave/Alternative radio station. He played in Texas at a festival South by Southwest but not sure how he was received (Coldplay played a small set as well). Every time I have seen him in Dallas, it was sold out or close to it. Picture a smaller version of the show in 2004 at MEN Arena for his DVD. The DVD is excellent by the way. My favorite parts is the end where many fans were interviewed about what his songs meant to each person. The guys from Halifax was great "love is a miserable lie" on his nipple. Classic!!!
JNP369

Postby Lorimoz » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi Jeff

in your introduction you mentioned MOZ, The Smiths and Depeche Mode.

You rank highly in my opinion. VERY good musical taste. :D

WELCOME

Nobody loves us
Lorimoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:50 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:PS: just a question (not indeded to provocate or so, just out of interest) but what do you or in general American Smiths-fans think of Morrissey's anti-American statements on his latest two solo albums?

Gerritt, I'll make a small comment on it, I don't get into the political arena very often. He sounds so angry and attacks at will (namely Bush and Joyce), though yes, we're all entitled to our opinions. (I think it was here I read some interesting threads regarding some politics.) I'm really not good at arguing a point, but he paints an almost anarchistic picture of American life--there are two sides to every issue. I'd rather all celebrities just stick to their musical craft. But to answer the question, I do wince at the overall tone of the records. I'm an Anglophile, but I'm still proud to be an American.

edit: Gerritt, it was a conversation between you and Tim (ugly houses) and Grim in the Al-Zarqawi thread. :)
Last edited by Still Ill on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:33 am

I didn't ask it to stir up a debate, just out of interest. Because, let's face it, Morrissey and the Smiths have always had a certain political undertone. Songs enough (eg The Queen Is Dead, Irish Blood English Heart, America Is Not The World, ... even the overall joking Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others contains a small hidden political reference). So I guess most Smiths/Moz fans do have a certain opinion on it, because Moz is often very explicit on political issues so it's hard to ignore his stands.

So I can imagine it may feel unpleasant to some when he launches an anti-American statement. Still, he seems to have a huge following in the States. Does that mean his local fans agree with his critics towards USA, or does it mean they keep a distance between their own political views and his?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to Introduction Forum