Re: Newbie

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Profanity, I lived in Belfast for 2 years before emigrating to Turkey. I lived in the Queens University area, walking distance from the city center. I lived in Dublin as well before but enjoyed Belfast better because of its underground artistic scene and beautiful architecture. It is funny to read the first posts in this topic in which I said I lived in Belfast, meanwhile (a year later) I lived in two other countries (first Turkey and now Germany). This means I spent my life in 3 countries in 1 single year, how rapid time flies...

And I refrain from the Derry/Londonderry debate. One thing I learnt during my time in Northern Ireland: stay neutral, don't talk about politics or religion :) Actually there is an island named Londonderry close to Antarctica as well, but this Londonderry is unpopulated so nobody will be discussing over its name there. :)

Must admit I don't like Celtic or Rangers though. Too political, I don't like it when politics and sports interfere. Barcelona, Real Madrid and the Rome teams are other examples of teams I don't like for that reason.

And Shels won that title fair and square! The ironic thing is, the game we won the league was the last game in the top division. From champions to playing teams like Wexford and Monaghan, it is sad how the board financially ruined our club.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Profanity » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:35 am

Cracked Pleasures wrote:Profanity, I lived in Belfast for 2 years before emigrating to Turkey. I lived in the Queens University area, walking distance from the city center.

I know where you're talking about. The university area is a lovely part of the city.

And I refrain from the Derry/Londonderry debate. One thing I learnt during my time in Northern Ireland: stay neutral, don't talk about politics or religion :)

I have my own views and I don't ram them down other peoples throats but I have always referred to that city as Derry and always will.

Must admit I don't like Celtic or Rangers though. Too political, I don't like it when politics and sports interfere. Barcelona, Real Madrid and the Rome teams are other examples of teams I don't like for that reason.

Politics have no place in sport in my opinion but Celtic are my team. Call it a family tradition.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde
Profanity
Regular

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:16 pm

I have a lot of respect for the local Celtic fans, they are fantastic. I don't like the general Irish Celtic fans though. It makes so little sense if you see half of them support Celtic only to show how Irish or anti-British they are. Well sorry, but they're supporting a UK club. If they would actually want to support a real Irish team, they should stick to St Patricks, Shamrock Rovers, Cork City, ... choice enough. But no, they rather sit in front of a TV supporting a BRITISH team and meanwhile shouting "fuck Union Jack" whenever Celtic scores. Makes no sense at all.

I have nothing against the average Celtic fan though, only against that minority that does it only for political reasons and who really believe Celtic is an Irish club. It is a small minority luckily, the majority of Celtic fans are cool guys. In general Celtic is a nice club if you ignore that small portion of fans who bring politics into the game. Both Celtic and Rangers seem to also realise the issue and work hard to ban sectarianism.

And yeah, the QUB area of Belfast is nice. I lived right across the corner of the university, the uni was my neighbour really. The only bad thing is that the nightlife can be really decadent in Ireland, but apart from that it was a nice place to live with a lot of culture. I often went to open mike nights, poetry readings, traditional Irish music sessions, readings, ... That is the benefit of the university next door, it brings a lot of cultural activity right next to your doorstep. And the city center was only a 10 minute walk.

To me the city used to be Londonderry before I moved to Ireland because in my native Belgium all maps print Londonderry. Since I lived in Ireland and realised why it is such a sensitive issue, I try to avoid the debate because I don't unintentionally want to hurt anyone. So I usually either call both names or avoid the debate by using the nickname "Maiden City". It is only since I lived in Ireland that I realised the meaning of the double name and why it is such a difficult issue.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to Introduction Forum