screenplays

Prose, poetry, music, art, it all goes in here! Showcase your creative talents.

Postby madmancmonkey » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:16 am

This is taken from my film coursework, for which I recieved an 'A' for. I had to keep it short, but would,nt mind doing the whole lot! Its is a screenpaly from a (as yet) fictional film about our favourite band. I encourage other people to have a go.

Sequence

I started something I couldn’t finish (Taken from a third into the film)

FADE IN

1, INT: A bedroom

Caption says: 1982, Stretford Manchester

The camera pans slowly across a wall adorned with posters. It is introducing a bedroom; the bedroom belongs to Steven Morrissey. The camera then gives an establishing shot of STEVEN MORRISSEY (known henceforth as MORRISSEY), who is kneeling on is bed, scribbling words into a pad. A New York dolls t-shirt is hung up on a rail. In the room is a bunk, a bookshelf, a table with a record deck and vase with a few droopy flowers in it.

POV SHOT: The pages are filled with scribbles in blocks, presumably prose or lyrics.

PAN: As MORRISSEY reaches across and places the arm on the record player. The song begins in the background. It is ‘trash’ by the New York dolls.

CLOSE UP SHOT: Of MORRISSEY’S face. He is chewing on a pencil contemplatively. He thinks of something then scribbles it down furiously.

SIDE-ON SHOT: Of MORRISSEY chewing his pencil again.

The song finishes and he goes and adjusts the arm so it repeats itself.

A commotion can be heard outside. Footsteps can be heard. MORRISSEY looks up quickly as his bedroom door opens

RAPID CUT TO: JOHNNY MAHER standing in the doorframe. He is wearing shades, a jacket and a pair of jeans. A guitar is slung over his shoulder.

JOHNNY MAHER (waving)

Alright Steve?

MORRISSEY

Yes thanks

MAHER’S Effulgent Northern twang fills his voice whilst MORRISSEYS is devoid of accent, yet slightly effeminate.

JOHNNY MAHER

So what have you been doing? Any progress with the lyrics or anything?

MORRISSEY

Yeah. A little. Here. (Handing MAHER the pad with the words scribbled on.)
CUT TO JOHNNY MAHER who scrutinises the lyrics nodding approvingly.

JOHNNY MAHER

Yeah, these are top. Kind of indirect if you know what I mean but very, very good.

MORRISSEY (Reaching over to put the record on repeat for the third time)

Thanks. I guess they are supposed to be indirect, to get its message across.

POV SHOT OF: MORRISSEY, sitting on the bed.

CUT TO: MAHER, standing in the doorway.

MORRISSEY

Sit down, Ill make room (Moving papers around)

JOHNNY MAHER

Nah, I was gonna play for you

MORRSISSEY

Ok

CUT TO: MORRISSEY sitting on bed cross-legged and listening intently

MAHER gently lifts the arm of the record to silence it. The he begins to strum a tune.

CUT TO: CLOSE UP SHOT OF MORRISSEY’S expression. It is one of intent.

MAHER stops strumming and leaves the last chord lingering in the air with an emphatic tug on the string.

CUT TO: MORRISSEY sat on the bed staring pensively. He is resting his chin on his hand and his bottom lip is curled out.

MORRISSEY (clapping)

That’s very good. Compliments my lyrics superbly.

MAHER

Did you have a name for the track or….

MORRISSEY

I was thinking ‘Hand in glove’.

The camera tracks JOHNNY MARR’S short journey across the room. He then sits next to MORRISSEY on the bunk.

MAHER

You know what I was thinking?

Morrissey

Mmmmmmmm?

MAHER

Maybe we could stick in a harmonica. It would sound top.

MORRISSEY

We need a name.

A PAN takes in the rest of the room. It is dim and small.

CUT TO MORRISSEY: Who reaches over and puts ‘Trash’ back on.

End of sequence
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Bref » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:35 pm

That was brilliant! You're descriptions and dialogue are first class, well deserved A
;)
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby atomium » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:16 am

i liked it, it was great! :D

Anto -
atomium
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:42 am

I am writing a play play....

I was up until 2 AM working on it- it always comes in fits. It will be the least convenient time ever when I feel that I just need to work on it, and if I have the physical ability to do it I will sit down and pour my soul out into it- its amazing just to be swept away like that. When I am working, I know that what I am doing will need some serious editing, but that is the beauty of the art- follow your inspiration when you have it and edit later, right? Anyways, I have been writing it for months and I have a feeling it will be months more until I finish it, but at least I know that the substance of it all was inspired work and the form of it all was discipline so that in the end it will be as beautiful as it can be, no matter how many 2 AMs I see.

Anyone else have this experience?
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:50 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:I am writing a play play....

I was up until 2 AM working on it- it always comes in fits. It will be the least convenient time ever when I feel that I just need to work on it, and if I have the physical ability to do it I will sit down and pour my soul out into it- its amazing just to be swept away like that. When I am working, I know that what I am doing will need some serious editing, but that is the beauty of the art- follow your inspiration when you have it and edit later, right? Anyways, I have been writing it for months and I have a feeling it will be months more until I finish it, but at least I know that the substance of it all was inspired work and the form of it all was discipline so that in the end it will be as beautiful as it can be, no matter how many 2 AMs I see.

That's great! Certainly very patient of you to be so true to your muse, as it were....

I do find that my more interesting ideas come in the early hours of the morning, I think maybe tiredness makes the brain's critical faculty shut off or something....
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:13 am

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=36943:date=Nov 14 2006, 06:42 AM:name=Pashernate_Lover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pashernate_Lover @ Nov 14 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]36943[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I am writing a play play....

That's great! Certainly very patient of you to be so true to your muse, as it were....

I do find that my more interesting ideas come in the early hours of the morning, I think maybe tiredness makes the brain's critical faculty shut off or something....
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh- it's hard to be your own worst critic when you are too tired to spell critic! :lol:
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pretty Grave Maker » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:11 am

I would have to say that the best, or at least most, writing I have ever done was when I was experiencing the most unbelievable insanity.

And I've associated staying up late with insanity.

therefore, you're going crazy, pashy.

more so, that is :)

maybe someday you'll be as crazy as meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee B)
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"And which driver is not tempted, merely by the power of his engine, to wipe out the vermin of the street, pedestrians, children and cyclists?" --Theodor Adorno<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Pretty Grave Maker
Regular

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:07 am

No way that could ever happen, PGM. Enjoy writing your essay- hope you get to sleep tonight.

I finished some plays- they are awesome. W00t!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:01 am

I get to find out Friday if one of my plays willl be produced soon!!! Eeeee!!!

I am also writing a new one which I am rather enamored with
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:56 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:I get to find out Friday if one of my plays willl be produced soon!!! Eeeee!!!

Good luck, my dearest Pashy. Is it the one I know?
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:44 pm

yes- it is :)
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:yes- it is :)

Oh well, you know how much I liked it!!! Keep us informed about that!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:47 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I GOT IN!!!! I AM CRYING I AM SO HAPPY!!!! AAAH!!! MY PLAY IS GOING TO BE PERFORMED!!! AAAAH!!!!! WHY IS EVERYONE ASLEEP, I HAVE TO TELL SOMEBODY!!! AAAAH!!! WOOHOO!!!!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:40 am

Oh, congratulations, my dear, you must be very happy and I am happy for you. It's a good play, I am sure it's gonna be great!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:03 pm

I've just as-good-ascompleted mine. Anyone who wishes to see it give me a shout
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Creativity Corner