Losing your creativity

Prose, poetry, music, art, it all goes in here! Showcase your creative talents.

Postby Lazy Dyke » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:42 pm

I just wondered what people did when they "lost" their creative touch. I used to write every week, and also make graphics or draw everyday. I've completely stopped this year more or less.

I'd really like to become my old self again, but the creativity.. the ideas, and the urge to think about any, has just vanished. Anybody else had/got this problem?
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Do you just think you are short on ideas, or short on energy? I think it's a good idea to try more technical-style exercises while you're short on inspiration - so when the ideas start flowing, you're not completely off the pace. Having said that, my personal methodology is that I only 'work' when I want to. If I don't have any ideas or any patience, I don't bother because it doesn't end well.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:27 pm

elko wrote:Do you just think you are short on ideas, or short on energy? I think it's a good idea to try more technical-style exercises while you're short on inspiration - so when the ideas start flowing, you're not completely off the pace. Having said that, my personal methodology is that I only 'work' when I want to. If I don't have any ideas or any patience, I don't bother because it doesn't end well.

i agree 100%.

one thing i have had to accept (begrudgingly every single time) is how i change in creative outlets/mediums of expression. i've sold commission statuary in the past, all clay sculpture...and i miss it. after that i did a whole bunch of watercolor work. now i'm doing poetry.
so perhaps you may consider something brand new. though it involves a certain loss, it also can reach spots in you that nothing else has so far.
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:18 pm

It's all gone. This life is simply not worth living. I've got a job now (well I'm forced by the evil forces of the government) and since that time all my creativity is lost. I can't think of anything more horrible that can happen to me than to lose my only sense in life. I hate my job, I hate the people there and I hate every single second of it, praying for it to end every single minute. Was the same with school, I suppose, but now the only way of output I can imagine is dead and gone and all that frustration anger and hatred is staying inside, which ruins my health. Losing your creativity can also be dangerous, for I don't know when I'll explode and I don't know how it'll look like, if I kill my boss or burst in tears...

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:40 pm

yandee wrote:It's all gone. This life is simply not worth living. I've got a job now (well I'm forced by the evil forces of the government) and since that time all my creativity is lost. I can't think of anything more horrible that can happen to me than to lose my only sense in life. I hate my job, I hate the people there and I hate every single second of it, praying for it to end every single minute. Was the same with school, I suppose, but now the only way of output I can imagine is dead and gone and all that frustration anger and hatred is staying inside, which ruins my health. Losing your creativity can also be dangerous, for I don't know when I'll explode and I don't know how it'll look like, if I kill my boss or burst in tears...

*hugs* honestly, a new medium is the way to go. I was on the championship slam poetry team in my area, I used to write every day and together with my best friend we pushed the team to a new level of intensity, but then I stopped writing entirely and haven't done it in years. I used to act as a creative medium to fall into and escape for a few hours each day while I had a show running, but I haven't really done it in years. Try something new and who knows? You could find a whole new vein of creativity you never knew about before!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:36 am

Thanks so much, darling!!! :) :) :) I'll definetely try it out

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:07 am

yandee wrote:Thanks so much, darling!!! :) :) :) I'll definetely try it out

Break a leg!! :D
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:40 am

I often think, will I lose it, have I got it to lose, did I ever have it but then I think, Nah.

All my house'mates' have gone home for the week and I wrote a short story ( it's going into a competition, fingers crossed) and I just sat there listening to Takk(Sigur Ros) on repeat. I thought, life isn't so bad but you see I was alone. :lol:

When you've lost your faith in love, music and writing the end wont be long. ;)
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:04 pm

To the track Takk or to the whole album? ;) ...it really stimulates creative writing!!!
Well you just said it, mancsmtihsfan...Today I took a break from work, just half an hour, went to a bar and wrote one page...I don't think that it is any good, but fuck it...I'll just go on like that, thanks, guys
Yesterday the former editor of the school paper I was writing music reviews for, a good friend of mine wrote that she would actually be suprised and dissapointed if I'd stop writing for she wants to read about everything that goes through my mind (the warmest and sweetest compliment ever gotten, told her that I wanted to marry her have three children and then hang myself in the attic of my parent's house
, but that's another story, I guess :D ) She is now writing her work for her a levels on Gabriel Garcia Marquez and borrowed my tractat on Michel Houellebecq . She said she wants to own a copy for she loves it so much...that has to mean something, or doesn't it?
So today I tried some new more beat-poetic way of writing...half an hour, just one page and there should be one or two sentences that actually sound good...it will be a hard way back, but maybe, you'll never know *fingers crossed*...hugs to both of you!!
Last edited by yandee on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby kurt » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:31 pm

_Stranger_ wrote:I just wondered what people did when they "lost" their creative touch. I used to write every week, and also make graphics or draw everyday. I've completely stopped this year more or less.

I'd really like to become my old self again, but the creativity.. the ideas, and the urge to think about any, has just vanished. Anybody else had/got this problem?

Aye, i used to be excellent, now im not quite so excellent, but still excellent near enough ;)

yandee wrote:It's all gone. This life is simply not worth living. I've got a job now (well I'm forced by the evil forces of the government) and since that time all my creativity is lost. I can't think of anything more horrible that can happen to me than to lose my only sense in life. I hate my job, I hate the people there and I hate every single second of it, praying for it to end every single minute. Was the same with school, I suppose, but now the only way of output I can imagine is dead and gone and all that frustration anger and hatred is staying inside, which ruins my health. Losing your creativity can also be dangerous, for I don't know when I'll explode and I don't know how it'll look like, if I kill my boss or burst in tears...

dude, school's fine, nothing wrong with school, all you need are enough mates, good grades and away you go

plus, work isnt that bad is it? surely?
<div align="left"><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:green--><span style="color:green"><!--/coloro-->Everything you say to me takes me One step closer to the edge</div>

<div align="right">and I'm about to break<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
kurt
Supreme

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:51 am

Handsome Devil wrote:<!--quoteo(post=31881:date=Jul 26 2006, 01:42 PM:name=_Stranger_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_Stranger_ @ Jul 26 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]31881[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I just wondered what people did when they "lost" their creative touch. I used to write every week, and also make graphics or draw everyday. I've completely stopped this year more or less.

Aye, i used to be excellent, now im not quite so excellent, but still excellent near enough ;)

dude, school's fine, nothing wrong with school, all you need are enough mates, good grades and away you go

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

School may be fine for you, but it isn't that way for everybody. Each person experiences different things in life and lives their lives differently, it is for that reason that we are DIFFERENT people.

There is more to school than grades and friends. And work can be that bad depending on which job you have and how it suits you as a person. Civil service work is a mandatory thing in a number of places and that isn't like working in a cafe or bookshop or music store, it is a different kind of work which is mandatory and often rather hard or awful depending on your placement.

I hated my job a couple of years ago, my first day I cleaned up vomit in front of hundreds of people, I once discovered a room full 12+ hour old hot human excrement- work can be that bad and it can certainly kill your creativity.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pretty Grave Maker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:07 am

Handsome Devil wrote:<!--quoteo(post=31881:date=Jul 26 2006, 01:42 PM:name=_Stranger_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_Stranger_ @ Jul 26 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]31881[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You must not have EVER IN YOUR LIFE had a job. because yeah. Work can be THAT bad especially when it's not exactly a job of your choice...at all. Also, school can, too, be that bad. How do you get friends? Do you go to the friend tree and pick them off? Some people are too cool to have "enough mates," and even if you do have loads of friends, that doesn't make school less suck. I can tell you, from personal experience, that a killer group of friends does not equal straight As, and straight As is what you need to get out of the shitty system. So, in conclusion, you're not respecting the fact that your life experience may just be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. that's all. have a pleasant day.
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"And which driver is not tempted, merely by the power of his engine, to wipe out the vermin of the street, pedestrians, children and cyclists?" --Theodor Adorno<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Pretty Grave Maker
Regular

Postby yandee » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:26 am

Pretty Grave Maker wrote:You must not have EVER IN YOUR LIFE had a job. because yeah. Work can be THAT bad especially when it's not exactly a job of your choice...at all. Also, school can, too, be that bad. How do you get friends? Do you go to the friend tree and pick them off? Some people are too cool to have "enough mates," and even if you do have loads of friends, that doesn't make school less suck. I can tell you, from personal experience, that a killer group of friends does not equal straight As, and straight As is what you need to get out of the shitty system. So, in conclusion, you're not respecting the fact that your life experience may just be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. that's all. have a pleasant day.

Well, Pashy I think, as so often in my life I'm overreacting. Probably it's not that bad...well it probably is (just returned from washing assistence...had to clean up some old man's shitty dipers), but as Michel Houellebecq said: It's not worth complaining if you don't see your own misery as absolute.

And to Pretty Grave Maker: I LOVE YOU...you're soooo mean :) ....that's so cool....I'm struck

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby madmancmonkey » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:57 am

People like the second to last poster are the type of disaffected misanthrope that has to alleviate their own personal greivences by attacking other peoples 'opinion'. Meanness is not cool, lad. Viva hate yes, but if somebody said what they said to me face-to-face I'd smack them in the mouth!

Back to Takk (rhymes, see). Yes it is an album of much euphony and unaldulterated aural aestheticism, Hoppipolla is just breathtaking. Yandee, glad to see the touch come back!
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:08 pm

mancsmithsfan wrote:People like the second to last poster are the type of disaffected misanthrope that has to alleviate their own personal greivences by attacking other peoples 'opinion'. Meanness is not cool, lad. Viva hate yes, but if somebody said what they said to me face-to-face I'd smack them in the mouth!

Back to Takk (rhymes, see). Yes it is an album of much euphony and unaldulterated aural aestheticism, Hoppipolla is just breathtaking. Yandee, glad to see the touch come back!

I'm glad to see it come back, too. I didn't mean that her being mean to HD was cool (I realize that it just looks like that *blush*) I think that her telling him straight what she wanted to say without that whole fake politeness is, at least to me quite impressive. I do things like that (not the meanness, but telling people my opinion straight in the face) myself sometimes and so I'm glad that I'm not the only one...btw if I tell people my own point of view I'm constantly aware of the fact that I'll probably get smacked...but I won't critizise my own vices on other people.
I don't think that I've got anything to add to this perfect description of the pleasures of that wonderfull record

Update half an hour later: I have just cleaned up the office and thought about what you said, mancsmithsfan. I realized that all of you people are so new to me...I realized that the problem is that nearly everybody I usually talk to knows me for at least 8 years, they know that when I am pissed off I can be this misanthroist son of a bitch and then they spare me and don't take anything I say for too serious...so I just realized that I should watch out what I'm saying here for I never who could misunderstand it. I'm really sorry and I appologize for all the shit I've been talking...(btw. I would probably not have said all this if it weren't some sensitive day :P )
Last edited by yandee on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to The Creativity Corner