Losing your creativity

Prose, poetry, music, art, it all goes in here! Showcase your creative talents.

Postby elko » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:44 pm

mancsmithsfan wrote:People like the second to last poster are the type of disaffected misanthrope that has to alleviate their own personal greivences by attacking other peoples 'opinion'. Meanness is not cool, lad. Viva hate yes, but if somebody said what they said to me face-to-face I'd smack them in the mouth!

What the hell are you on about? If you read it, it's not even mean, it's just pretty succinct. I don't know if you have a job, but if you smacked everyone who was honest to you then I daresay you wouldn't be around too long. In fact, the more I read your post, the more hypocritical it becomes.

But yeh Pretty Grave Maker, I don't think Kurt has ever had a job, he's only fourteen or so I think (sorry if that's wrong). So I guess his life experience so far has been pretty different to yours.
elko
Site Admin

Postby yandee » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:03 pm

God's own mediator!!! :D Mr. Ellis Jones!!! Praise him, praise him!!! :lol: :lol:

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pretty Grave Maker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 pm

mancsmithsfan wrote:People like the second to last poster are the type of disaffected misanthrope that has to alleviate their own personal greivences by attacking other peoples 'opinion'. Meanness is not cool, lad. Viva hate yes, but if somebody said what they said to me face-to-face I'd smack them in the mouth!

the only reason I was reacting the way I did was because losing your creativity is probably like the worst feeling ever. EVER!! I haven't written more than like...five poems in the past three years and it's pretty much directly because of my insane school/work schedule that I have. I'm overworked and stressed out, I feel like I'm going completely and totally insane, for now, I'm at least aware of the fact that I'm a little crazy...

that other person, apparently 14 year old kid without a job, is saying "c'mon, life isn't that bad! buck up buckeroo" but that's just not something you should say when someone else is saying "my life is horrible and I hate everything and I'm going to go completely nutso in about two seconds if I don't find a safe outlet for it all!!!!!!"

you know what I mean?
If I was talking to a friend, face to face, and I said "I can't create I hate life and I feel like I can't take it anymore" and they said "all you need is good grades and lots of friends, and life will be wonderful" I would probably smack -them-
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"And which driver is not tempted, merely by the power of his engine, to wipe out the vermin of the street, pedestrians, children and cyclists?" --Theodor Adorno<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

Pretty Grave Maker
Regular

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:28 am

elko wrote:<!--quoteo(post=36404:date=Nov 8 2006, 10:57 AM:name=mancsmithsfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mancsmithsfan @ Nov 8 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]36404[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
People like the second to last poster are the type of disaffected misanthrope that has to alleviate their own personal greivences by attacking other peoples 'opinion'. Meanness is not cool, lad. Viva hate yes, but if somebody said what they said to me face-to-face I'd smack them in the mouth!

What the hell are you on about? If you read it, it's not even mean, it's just pretty succinct. I don't know if you have a job, but if you smacked everyone who was honest to you then I daresay you wouldn't be around too long. In fact, the more I read your post, the more hypocritical it becomes.

But yeh Pretty Grave Maker, I don't think Kurt has ever had a job, he's only fourteen or so I think (sorry if that's wrong). So I guess his life experience so far has been pretty different to yours.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree! You are a very fair person, Elks
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:01 am

Pretty Grave Maker wrote:<!--quoteo(post=36404:date=Nov 8 2006, 02:57 AM:name=mancsmithsfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mancsmithsfan @ Nov 8 2006, 02:57 AM) [snapback]36404[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
People like the second to last poster are the type of disaffected misanthrope that has to alleviate their own personal greivences by attacking other peoples 'opinion'. Meanness is not cool, lad. Viva hate yes, but if somebody said what they said to me face-to-face I'd smack them in the mouth!

the only reason I was reacting the way I did was because losing your creativity is probably like the worst feeling ever. EVER!! I haven't written more than like...five poems in the past three years and it's pretty much directly because of my insane school/work schedule that I have. I'm overworked and stressed out, I feel like I'm going completely and totally insane, for now, I'm at least aware of the fact that I'm a little crazy...

that other person, apparently 14 year old kid without a job, is saying "c'mon, life isn't that bad! buck up buckeroo" but that's just not something you should say when someone else is saying "my life is horrible and I hate everything and I'm going to go completely nutso in about two seconds if I don't find a safe outlet for it all!!!!!!"

you know what I mean?
If I was talking to a friend, face to face, and I said "I can't create I hate life and I feel like I can't take it anymore" and they said "all you need is good grades and lots of friends, and life will be wonderful" I would probably smack -them-

Hell yeah!!! You're right, but can we blame him for not having seen those unbearable sides of life we've seen? He probably didn't want to offend anybody, or did you Kurt :D ?

and btw: I really like that Adorno quote you've got there, darling

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 am

<_<

i'm going to stand up for Kurt, the 14 year old.
what on earth makes anyone else's experiences more valid than his? (age is FAR less important than what most have been brainwashed to believe.)

the fact remains: life is as miserable as you make it.
if all hell is breaking out on you, if your life is going to hell in a handbasket, what's stopping you from writing a poem (or whatever) about it? five minutes away from your pc or your cellular phone or your friends to write a poem will not kill you. conflict is pregnant change. if i spent as much time as i wanted bemoaning the emo drama of my life, i'd never accomplish a productive thing evar.
one's creativity cannot be lost. it can be overshadowed by preoccupations and drama, but never lost. it's merely a matter of putting things in perspective.

give Kurt a break, it's not like he's the only one who's been 14 in his life.

if you feel you have "lost" your creativity, i suggest you take pashy's advice----find a new medium, branch out to something you can do, don't dwell in the fecal matter of life (it is an endless stream, believe me) but carry on! there are jillions of avenues for creative expression.

and just for a reference point, as a psychotherapist when people tell me how much their life sucks i challenge it. if i were to just sit passively and say: "oh dear, tell me how much your life sucks" am i doing them any favours? no, that's simply reinforcing their helplessness and hopelessness.
is it SO wrong to challenge thoughts of undoing?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby yandee » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:16 am

chicken wrote:what on earth makes anyone else's experiences more valid than his?

Did I say anything like that anytime? I just said that he probably has not had these feelings concerning his life (which is definetely a GOOD thing,...if I could change places I'd do right now, really) God only knows I didn't want to offend Kurt, but just nothing ever depends on the friends you've got, but on the way you see your life, on the way you (have to) live your life. School was something different, something I wanted to do, because I wanted to get somewhere, but if you are forced to do something that really frustrates you without any option or way out whatsoever, that's again something different. So as to prove if my school-amateur psychology still works: If there is one thing that I learned form Michel Houellebecq it is that people always make their own misery absolute, although they know that time makes all grief and misery relative and obsolete. Most people are frightend the future might be still worse, so they tell theirselfs that they are at the (to speak with E.M. Cioran) peak of desperation and it can't come any worse.
I appreciate that he wanted to aliviate our general mood with his post, but it's simply not so easy, you will probably know.
btw. where is Kurt? Would be really nice tohear his point of view, or wouldn't it? ;)

the one I love
yandee
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:58 pm

Double you tee eff
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:55 pm

Whoohoo, we love bots!
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:21 pm

Whoa! Where did those guys come from? Geez!
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:49 pm

I don't know why it all seems to be in this forum ....creative bots? :unsure:
elko
Site Admin

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:32 am

You're an admin Elks, can you delete them?
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:04 am

Does IPB allow bans by IP? If so, do an IP ban on the node or subnet where the attack is coming from.
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby elko » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:03 pm

Boxguy wrote:Does IPB allow bans by IP? If so, do an IP ban on the node or subnet where the attack is coming from.

Done.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chicken » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:49 pm

yandee wrote:<!--quoteo(post=36739:date=Nov 11 2006, 01:14 AM:name=chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chicken @ Nov 11 2006, 01:14 AM) [snapback]36739[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
what on earth makes anyone else's experiences more valid than his?

Did I say anything like that anytime? I just said that he probably has not had these feelings concerning his life (which is definetely a GOOD thing,...if I could change places I'd do right now, really) God only knows I didn't want to offend Kurt, but just nothing ever depends on the friends you've got, but on the way you see your life, on the way you (have to) live your life. School was something different, something I wanted to do, because I wanted to get somewhere, but if you are forced to do something that really frustrates you without any option or way out whatsoever, that's again something different. So as to prove if my school-amateur psychology still works: If there is one thing that I learned form Michel Houellebecq it is that people always make their own misery absolute, although they know that time makes all grief and misery relative and obsolete. Most people are frightend the future might be still worse, so they tell theirselfs that they are at the (to speak with E.M. Cioran) peak of desperation and it can't come any worse.
I appreciate that he wanted to aliviate our general mood with his post, but it's simply not so easy, you will probably know.
btw. where is Kurt? Would be really nice tohear his point of view, or wouldn't it? ;)

now that the bot issue is administered...

sorry, yandee. my post came off more flaming than what i had intended. last friday wasn't really the best day i've had and it was reflected in that post. i didn't mean to draw any lines in the sand, for certain.

regarding the way one sees one's life: there is a HUGE body of research about "attribution theory" in psychology. i've not checked what wiki has to say, but i'm confident it can inform you quite well. when one faces mandatory servitude it is called an external stable attribution...among the worst for our self-esteem and individual expression. most certainly anyone in that situation has my sympathies and moral support.

as far as how this influences creativity, i think sometimes we creative types have no choice but to resort to little things. there was a lengthy period of my life wherein i utterly devoted myself to my job. while a worthwhile cause, i found my arse planted firmly in challenger deep---i.e. i realized i had no where to go but up. my creative outlet at that time was actually (and this will sound a bit daft) my houseplants. for whatever reason i've yet to fully understand, i poured my energy into them with tremendous payoffs. it was not until a friend of a friend brought over one of their friends to see "the jungle" that i realized my efforts were worthwhile.
honestly, i think of just about anyone on this forum Pashy has among the best experiences about the ebb and flow of creativity.

btw-i think your school-amateur psychology may not be as rusty as you think. great post...made me think.
hoping all's well :ph34r:
chicken
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Creativity Corner