Album reviews

Prose, poetry, music, art, it all goes in here! Showcase your creative talents.

Postby madmancmonkey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:16 pm

Actually going to submit this to a journal as a glimpse of ability to test if I can write for them. Word count limit was 275 - slightly over. Hope they dont mind.

The Queen is dead review

This became the third studio album from the Manchester four -piece and is widely heralded as the zenith of everything they had produced. The Smiths well and truly ascended the dizzying heights to the top of the music hall of fame with this breath taking montage of lyrical genius, superior strumming and melancholic melody.
All possible dimensions to the band are witnessed here. They proved that they could offer the dynamism of a genre-pioneering band and TQID achieves this with such gilt-edged tracks as the heart-rending There is a light that never goes out and Cemetary gates juxtaposed with the like of the comic disco knees-up Frankly, Mr Shankly.
This album has the ability to invoke a bubbling cocktail of emotion with its musical stratagies. The irrefutable lyrical genius of Morrissey, (so wry and self-depracating as it is) adds gloss to give fans of the band exactly what they want. This is witnessed in the likes of “Behind the hatred there lies a murderous desire for loveâ€
madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:09 pm

I like it. Good luck. Have you submitted it yet? What journal?

Here's one I wrote a while back (I did put a few on a webpage once, but most of them read terribly).

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->BARAFUNDLE - GORKY'S ZYGOTIC MYNCI

Odds are, this is not the best album you own. And the reason for that is, odds are you don't own it. The only reason Gorky's Zygotic Mynci are not the most popular band in the world right now is simply because not enough have heard of them. I have never met, or heard of anyone who has heard a Gorky's album, and then not liked it. They are impossible to dislike, and so this album.
The sound itself is fairly hard to describe, but it's very Welsh. Kind of folk-y, slightly psychedelic, wonderfully medieval, but ultimately it's the best sort of pop there is.
That is to say, it's melodic and it's beautiful, but at no time does it become predictable. The discordant bits sounds heavenly, and the heavenly bits sound slightly off-kilter, giving it an unimitable quirky sound which transcends genres and most importantly makes it fantastic to listen to. Every song has something instantly magical about it, from the multi-time signatured delights of 'Starmoonsun' to the beautifully quirky balladry of 'Patio Song' ("Oh, isn't it a lovely day/My patio's on fire"). I could go on and recommend every song as essential listening, but so long as you understand how effortlessly wonderful this record is, I won't bother.
Unlike any other album, Barafundle offers something that will appeal to anyone. Fun for all the family, if you will. The classical influences are worn proudly on sleeves, presumably pin-striped in honour of the Beach Boys, and melded with most styles of popular music you could think of. Sometimes the song structures are unfathomable, but it always seems right. Sometimes they sing in Welsh, but it always seems understandable. This album is perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
elko
Site Admin

Postby bernie brown » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:06 pm

good review. I am really interested in reading about the albums so will be checking out this thread a lot. Have you written some others ?
I like to pay attention to the sounds johnny marr has created with the synth ( I guess its a synth of some sort) and added to There is a Light. One of my favourites is a beautiful little flute-like sound that enters with the line .."and in a darkened underpass" and skips along for a bit. I imagine it as the nervous heartbeat of the narrator whose " chance has come at last" but is too afraid to ask. And of course its there again at the end along with the main orchestral theme of the song, all rolling along together, perfectly entwined. What can you say ? It's genius.
the only Smiths fan in the village
bernie brown
Advanced

Postby stanyewest » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:37 pm

I'll be preparing some for some time in the future for bands like J5, Cake and other bands you might like, or not as the case may be.
most people gaze not into the future or the past;they explore neither truth nor lies. they gaze at the TV.
stanyewest
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:19 pm

Here's one I wrote : <a href="http://www.bristolforum.co.uk/smith/index.php?showtopic=988" target="_blank">http://www.bristolforum.co.uk/smith/index.php?showtopic=988</a>

I have more, if someone's interested I'd be happy to share them.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:40 pm

bump!

<a href="http://theplasticashtray.co.uk/reviews/album/read.php?which=47" target="_blank">http://theplasticashtray.co.uk/reviews/alb...ad.php?which=47</a>

...is my review of the new Killers album.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:33 am

Ha ha, I had seen your review, nicely written even if it is scathing (but apropos!) Perfect for Pitchfork. (they're good at being brutally honest) ;)
Can I mention since we are talking about the Killers, how silly the whole cowboy thing looks. Too contrived (obviously), like a wardrobe change. Eeeewww.

CP, should you find your way back here, please post some more reviews.

And I found this site just today through a link. I agree completely with everything he states in his opening paragraph. And even though this site is more about playlists than reviews, there's still always some opinion to be offered. Only thing is I can't stream the music (the downside, for me).

<a href="http://www.scopecreep.com/yahoo/category/genre/indie/" target="_blank">Yahoo Radish</a>
Last edited by Still Ill on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Return to The Creativity Corner