Life is a pigsty

For all things concerning Moz's solo career.

Postby Melanie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:52 pm

"It’s the same old S.O.S.
But with brand new broken fortunes
And once again I turn to you
Once again I do I turn to you
It’s the same old S.O.S.
But with brand new broken fortunes
I’m the same underneath
But this you, you surely knew
Life is a pigsty
Life is a pigsty
Life is a pigsty
Life is a pigsty
Life, life is a pigsty
Life, life is a pigsty
Life, life is a pigsty
Life is a pigsty
And if you don’t know this
Then what do you know?
Every second of my life I only live for you
And you can shoot me
And you can throw me off a train
I still maintain
I still maintain
Life, life is a pigsty
Life is a pigsty
And I’d been shifting gears all along my life
But I’m still the same underneath
This you surely knew
I can’t reach you
I can’t reach you
I can’t reach you anymore
Can you please stop time?
Can you stop the pain?
I feel too cold
And now I feel too warm again
Can you stop this pain?
Can you stop this pain?
Even now in the final hour of my life
I’m falling in love again
Again
Even now in the final hour of my life
Again
Again
Again
Again
Again
Again"

Hmmm, this song drives me crazy with curiosity!
I absolutely love it, it is quite beautiful and yet haunting.
Some people may think that the thunder and rain may be too much,
but this is one of the things that I think really adds to the song.
So the part that make's me curious?
"Even now in the final hour of my life I’m falling in love again".
Has he finally fallen in love again?
(I hate never knowing anything)
But the song sounds so painful other then that.

So, any thoughts or maybe someone knows the story behind the song,
although I'm sure that's a fat chance.
<!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#6600CC--><span style="color:#6600CC"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto-->i am a poor, freezingly cold soul
so far from where i intended to go...<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Melanie

Postby Shakespeare's Sister » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:36 am

Melanie wrote:So the part that make's me curious?
"Even now in the final hour of my life I’m falling in love again".
Has he finally fallen in love again?
(I hate never knowing anything)

There are many meanings for the word love, doesn't always have to be about falling in love with a person. Morrissey seems to be enjoying life much more than years before so my take on that line is maybe he's falling in love with life. He has recently said that life has gotten better for him lately.
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Well I'm not listening no more<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Shakespeare's Sister
Smiths Nut!

Postby Disused Railway Line » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:15 am

I agree, it is quite a haunting song. I think more of a worry is not the old man falling in love again but this 'at the end of my life' business. There's a lot of lines on this album about his imminent demise, I do hope they're all for dramatic effect.

'Life is a Pigsty', I don't know, it seems a fairly ambiguous comment to me, does he mean life is good or bad? Or that we all scurry around happy and content enough amongst our own squalor and filth, as pigs do. It seems a really obvious, lazy image, almost a cliche, to use the line as describing life as a mess, though that does seem to be suggested by the rest of the song. I'm still thinking about it.

That's not to detract from the song though, I really like it, just seems a clumsy line.
Disused Railway Line

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:48 pm

Morrissey fell in love with Rome. In recent articles and interviews it was stated frequently that he felt like a sort of homecoming when he moved to Rome and that he truely felt comfortable there. I can also understand why, somehow the city suits him with all those romantic places and artistic decors, think it's a good place for him and hopefully it will keep inspiring him for more music!
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:24 pm

I think its a really great, epic song, thought not quite in the way that 'Late Night Maudlin Street' is. It reveals more depth and intricacy the more you listen to it. Like what sounds like somebody playing glasses, I didn't notice that to begin with.

If you listen to Morrissey songs from 1983 onwards you'll hear him saying he's in love with something or some one

'Eurgh, I think I'm in love' from 'a rush and push...'
'I'm in love for the first time, now does that sound mad?' from 'break up the family'

In all these cases it's not clear who or what he's talking about, but that is for Morrissey to know and us to wonder, he's never going to name names. Or it could all be a load of rubbish of course...
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:31 pm

To me, "Because I am born" is his most joyful work, clearly expressing he found joy in life again, maybe that is also the 'love' he refers to in other songs.

Although he did somewhat hint that the 'love' refers to Italy, or so I understood from his recent interviews.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:57 pm

He specifically answered on Edith Bowman's interview that he was NOT in love after she asked him. It seemed to escape her ears though.

'Life's a Pigsty' is truly a beautiful epic song.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby scavenger » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm so glad to see so many of you love this song as much as I do. It truly is epic and so beautiful.
I'm not so sure that Moz is referring to a romantic love in the last few lines, although I guess it's possible. He has mentioned so many times, he new found appreciation (?) for life and Rome in particular - like you all mentioned. But then again, there are other tracks on ROTT that would make one believe he is speaking of romantic love...
In response to Still Ill's post about the Bowman interview, it is possible Moz was fibbing just a bit since he seems to prefer such topics to remain private.
soooo many contradictions, always keeping us guessing, how wonderfully Moz of him :D
Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Rodchenko » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:12 am

In the may issue of Uncut Morrissey states that he is NOT in love with anyone... He does however say that he is in love with something....
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:34 pm

The interviewer did his very best to get more information, but Moz didn't reveal anything more. Great interveiw by the way, he's very respectful and thoughtful in every theme he tackles. The same Uncut issue also contains an interview with Siouxsie Sioux. Go out, run to the newsagent and buy it!

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Re: Life is a pigsty

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:53 am

Experiencing Life is a Pigsty live was so beautiful I seriously almost cried. That melody is so beautiful it gets in your blood, plus the venue was fairly small so it was pulsing through everyone and *sigh* it was awesome. Best live performance I have ever seen
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Re: Life is a pigsty

Postby Truman Capote » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:49 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:Experiencing Life is a Pigsty live was so beautiful I seriously almost cried. That melody is so beautiful it gets in your blood, plus the venue was fairly small so it was pulsing through everyone and *sigh* it was awesome. Best live performance I have ever seen

Uhmmm, that really sounds sweet Pashy. Small venues are the best.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Return to Morrissey