[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - Favourite Smiths/Moz Lyrics and Meanings

Favourite Smiths/Moz Lyrics and Meanings

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Lazy Dyke » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:57 pm

Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby HandsomeDevil » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:26 pm

HandsomeDevil
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:22 am

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby irishbloodirishheart » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:10 pm

irishbloodirishheart
Advanced

Postby Lazy Dyke » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:29 pm

I have quite a lot, so prefer for a list. :P

Still Ill
<a href="http://www.lyricsdepot.com/the_smiths/still-ill.html" target="_blank">Lyrics</a>

"And if you must, go to work - tomorrow
Well, if I were you I really wouldn't bother"

What a disguistingly hilarious song. I just think Morrissey made such sense with the lyrics, and it still works really today, oh why should I go to work in england? I can get this free and that free.. :rolleyes:

Back To The Old House
<a href="http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/BACK-TO-THE-OLD-HOUSE-BBC-lyrics-The-Smiths/7654DFBB49F64A3A482568AB00276EA0" target="_blank">Lyrics</a>

"And you never knew
How much I really liked you
Because I never even told you
Oh, and I meant to "

Everybody has a place... or a time, like this.

Speedway
<a href="http://www.sing365.com/music/Lyric.nsf/Speedway-lyrics-Morrissey/4024A70EDA97EC90482568AB0035F0AC" target="_blank">Lyrics</a>

"Written lies, twisted lies
Well, they weren't lies
They weren't lies
They weren't lies"

I think for me, this song is so revealing. I feel like Morrissey is really showing something to me that I've never seen of him before. The relevation that lies that have been told about him.. well they're all true. That is of course if this is written in first person, it's always hard to tell with Mozzer. To me it means something, because sometimes I feel like I could say the rumors about me are true, but only the ones that are of course. Also the famous "true to you" lines at the end.. well I think everybody feels that kind of stalkerish devotion to somebody.. at least once in their life.

Late Night, Maudlin Street
<a href="http://www.lyricsdepot.com/morrissey/late-night-maudlin-street.html" target="_blank">Lyrics</a>

"Oh, the last bus I missed to Maudlin Street
So he drove me home in the Van
Complaining, "Women only like me for my mind...""

This is one of my fav Morrissey lines ever, it's what we all secretly fear.. it's that vanity that we all have. We're all afraid nobody likes us for the way we look. Yes personality is important, but our belief in our own appearence is too, no matter how people try to say "personality matters more." This song at first is very confusing, it doesn't appear to make any linear sense. After many lessons, I still don't understand it really, but when does anybody ever really understand Morrissey? To me.. it tells a story, a lovely yet tragic goodbye kind of story.

Girl Least Likely To
<a href="http://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/morrissey/girl+least+likely+to_20096046.html" target="_blank">Lyrics</a>

"Theres a publisher, she said, ...in the new year
(its never in this year)"

It's one of those songs where I feel like it reflects so many unnapreciated people out there, who will never make it. It's nice to see Morrissey still considers those song writers, who will never get anywere... despite the fact they are somewhat talented.

I'll post more later. :D
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:45 pm

elko
Site Admin

Postby madmancmonkey » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 pm

madmancmonkey
Smiths Nut!

Postby Lazy Dyke » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:09 pm

Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby SamR » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:41 am

SamR

Postby Hidden by Rags » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:00 pm

Past the Pub that wrecks your body
And the church - all they want is your money
The Queen is dead, boys
And it's so lonely on a limb

Two traditional places of solace for the British people - religion and the pub - and all they do is sap people dry. Sometimes you look around and feel like you're the only person who realises this, along with the absolute mess the country is in, and it can feel very lonely. This is political songwriting at its very, very best.
Hidden by Rags
Regular

Postby reclamation » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:57 pm

This could take a while ... :D

There is a Light that Never Goes Out pretty much in its entirety.

"The rain falls hard on a humdrum town
This town has dragged you down" - William, It Was Really Nothing.

"This is the coastal town that they forgot to close down
Come Armaggedon, come Armaggedon, come" - Everyday is Like Sunday.

"There is no-one on Earth I'm afraid of
And I will die with both of my hands untied" - Irish Blood, English Heart.
[size=1]Slytherin pride/size]
reclamation
Supreme

Re:

Postby egosheep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:46 am

egosheep

Re: Favourite Smiths/Moz Lyrics and Meanings

Postby egosheep » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:51 am

From Ask:

If it's not love, then it's the bomb that will bring us together.

as in, if our love for eachother doesn't bring mankind together, then it will be our fear of an enemy.. and if not that, then we'll be united in death, from an atomic bomb.
egosheep

Return to The Smiths